What Are Your Computer Specs? (Directed To Everyone)

xwinuser

You do not have to be as long winded as me. :)

What is your current setup? What are your short term plans for upgrading?

I usually stay a little behind the times because of money but as long as I can play pretty recent PC games I am okay.

I also usually build my own boxes but this last time I bought an off the shelf Dell. This just reinforced my loathing of Dell's customer service/tech support.

I prefer HP OTS but the computers themselves are comparable to Dell. Its the service from Dell that really sux.

ANYWAY

Right now I have an i3 Dual Core Intel 3.1Ghz (another thing I despise is Intel). I would have rather gotten an AMD but I was using my credit card and yadda yadda yadda. There is Hyperthreading with the Intel of course. I have used AMD so long that I was not aware that Hyper threaded CPUs show up as two CPUs and a dual core shows up as 4 CPUs in Task Manager, DXDIAG, System info, etc.

I have 6 gigs of RAM (only upgradable to 8 gigs but at DDR3 PC3-12800 that is not too bad).

I have a 1 terabyte 7400 RPM HD. Would love to go with an Solid State Drive (SSD). Of course if I had my pick I would get the $3000+ OCZ 1 terabyte SSD but I may settle for one just big enough for my operating system and slave a regular SATA for the data files.

AMD Radeon HD 6450 (Engineering Sample) 1024Mb - This is the lowest card in the 6000 series but it is discrete and beat the onboard video I would have been stuck with. Would love to get a couple of dual cards for about 8 Gigs of video RAM.

So again

Intel i3 Dual Core 3.1Ghz with Hyperthreading.

Windows 8 Developers Preview

6 Gigs RAM

1 Terabyte Sata III

AMD Radeon HD 6450 (Engineering Sample) 1024Mb

But it also depends on how much use you get out of it. Some people have very powerful machines and do nothing but play solitaire on it.

You seem to have a lot of coding knowledge. You probably do worthwhile projects and that is a good thing.

You're very lucky; I only have 512mb of RAM.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an Dell Inspiron N5010, Intel i3-380M 2.53GHz, 3GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz (limited to 1066MHz), 320GB HDD @ 5400rpm and an ATI Mobility HD5650 with 1GB GDDR3.

I also own a PC...Intel Dual Core 3.12GHz, can't remmeber the HDD, 4GB DDR2 (only 3 are being used), ATI EAH3850 with 256GDDR3.

I managed to get my hands on a Mac too, from an iOS Game Dev. company, but which specs' i forgot. As far as I remmeber it's just a Dual Core with 2 GB of Ram and an onboard GraphicsCard.

Also @ xwinuser the reason why you're seeing 4 CPUs is because they're not CPU's. They're "threads". Closest way to describe them is, you have 2 "real" CPUs and 2 "virtual". :D

• 1 month later...

I am poor but with the right time and choices I was able to get all the parts affordable with my Christmas money and personal funds.

Currently running: Windows 7 64-bit

AMD Phenom X4 945 3.1 Ghz

Random Access Memory: 4128MB

Power Supply: 400Watt Regular Molex

Motherboard: Asus M4a78t-e

Graphics card: Geforce GTS 240 1-GB

Hard Drives: 460GB Total(3 Logical Hard Drives)

comp: Alienware X51 mini hd

Running on: Windows 7 64bit

processor : Intel Core i7-2600 3.4ghz 8mb cache with hyper threading and turbo boost technology

ram : 8gb dual channel ddr3

hard drive: 170gb

video card: 1gb gddr5 nvidia gforce GTX 555

power supply: Alienware 330 watt power supply

Sounds like a pretty cool system. I have always heard good things about Alienware. I would probably like to have one even though they are associated with Dell whom I have come to despise. I do not like their tech support of customer and have had problems with them at home and at work over many years.

I am looking to up my video card from the AMD (ATI) HD 6450 to just about anything higher up in the 6000 series. Dell even states on their website that the 6450 was designed to just barely edge out the onboard Intel video chipset. The 6450 is a pretty decent card but I still want to play Call of Duty MW3 at full resolution and online. :P

comp: Alienware X51 mini hd

Running on: Windows 7 64bit

processor : Intel Core i7-2600 3.4ghz 8mb cache with hyper threading and turbo boost technology

ram : 8gb dual channel ddr3

hard drive: 170gb

video card: 1gb gddr5 nvidia gforce GTX 555

power supply: Alienware 330 watt power supply

My dream system would include a 1gig SSD hard drive (about $3300) and the latest AMD 7000 series video card boasted to be the fastest in the world (also around $3300).

This will always be a dream though as I usually build my own systems and spend as little as possible. At work we try not to go over $200 (not counting the OS license). heh

Windows 7

Case: Corsair 600D

CPU: Intel i7 980x

Ram: 6GB 2000Mhz

GPU: GTX 480

SSD: 120GB Revo Drive

HDD: 4 500GB in Raid 10

CpuColler: H100 from Corsair

PowerSupply: Corsair TX950

Screen: 1920x1080 120Hz (3D vision ready)

That is my System the CPU is a bit overkill but whatever.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...