[SOLVED] PHP Session Issue: /tmp full?

Nicolas Papin

I am having issues with starting sessions on my domain, specifically at http://nmpapin.heliohost.org/cs4911/. The error that I am getting is:

Warning: Unknown: write failed: No space left on device (28) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0

I am on Stevie and after a bit of investigation it appears that the /tmp directory is full. Is there any way that this issue could be addressed?

Thank you in advance for your help.

I am having issues with starting sessions on my domain, specifically at http://nmpapin.heliohost.org/cs4911/. The error that I am getting is:

Warning: Unknown: write failed: No space left on device (28) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0

I am on Stevie and after a bit of investigation it appears that the /tmp directory is full. Is there any way that this issue could be addressed?

I am getting the same error.

I am getting the same error.

Ah, sorry for the repeated problem report. I started creating my topic and then had to pick up my computer and move to a different room, and did not check for new posts in the form before actually posting my topic. Sorry about that.

Is there any particular reason you two are double posting the survey thing?

@wizard, if you want you can save some time by using the multi-moderate dropdown box in the bottom left side of the screen to select "Problem Solved." It renames the thread to start with [solved] and posts the feedback thing.

@tjoene, if you're just wanting the thread to say [solved] when on forum view you should have access enough as a moderator to edit the topmost topic of the thread and change the title to start with [solved]

@everyone else, we're really not that adamant that you take the survey. If you want to let us know how we're doing the survey is a great way to do so. If you don't have time; no big deal.

So I have a few remarks:

1) Stevie is down right now, but for a short while before it went down I was having my original issue once again. I do not know if this was due to the fact that the server was being brought offline or if /tmp somehow managed to get filled again within a few days.

2) I have already completed the survey. Overall I have been extremely satisfied with the features and service. It is worth note, however, that I received a timeout multiple times while attempting to complete the survey, which made the act of completing it slightly more annoying than I believe is intended and overall navigating between pages of the survey seemed a bit unresponsive.

Stevie wasn't actually down; he just had high load from someone using too much space in /tmp. A single account was using 92% of the available space in /tmp and that account has been suspended now. We can manually empty /tmp as much as we want, but if we don't suspend the account that is causing the issues it doesn't take very long for it to get filled back up again.

Thank you once again for your quick response.

No problem.

Just as a question, what would a single user be doing that would use up so much of the /tmp space?

Abusing the server intentionally to cause slow performance and downtime.

Edit: Feel free not to answer this as I realize that this section really is not for questions.

A better question is why would a single user go to such great lengths to do this? What is the point? What does it accomplish?